Score one for the Good GuysThe Michigan Board of State Canvassers, who didn't even have a meeting scheduled as of late last week, has hastily scheduled one for tomorrow (pdf). Why? I'll show you after the jump.
BRAAA-AAAINS!!!With the approval of the PA 4 repeal ballot initiative imminent, the predictable (and predicted) fight over what happens next is fully underway. Using a truly astonishing act of mental gymnastics and pretzel logic, Republicans, aided and abetted by Attorney General Bill Schuette, are convinced that we will simply revert to the original statute, Public Act 72. Though this law gave Emergency Financial Managers much less abusive authority than the Emergency Managers under Public Act 4, those municipalities and school districts currently under the thumb of a local dictator beg to differ with this view of things. Join me on the Zombie Law Roller Coaster after the jump.
Romney Hood: stealing from the Middle Class to give to the richAt a campaign stop in Stamford, Connecticut yesterday, President Obama referring to Mitt Romney's economic plan, the one that pays for historic tax cuts for the super wealthy by increasing taxes on average Americans, renamed Mitt Romney "Romney Hood". He's a reverse Robin Hood, said the president, stealing from Middle Class Americans to give to the very rich in our country. It was brilliant. Transcript and more after the jump.
Voting is sexy.
It’s really astonishing and heartbreaking how few people vote in our country’s primaries. It’s heartbreaking because these are the elections where we can actually impact the political future of our country. If you want your state to be more progressive, it’s at the primary where you can choose between candidates who are more or less progressive.
It’s at the primary where you can shake off that Conservadem that’s been plaguing you and replace them with a good, solid progressive Democrat.
It’s at the primary where we can send corrupt frauds like Roy Schmidt in Michigan House district 76 packing and, instead, replace him with a real Democrat Winnie Brinks (be sure to spell it right, you’re going to have to write that name in.)
It’s at the primary where you can repudiate fake Democrats and vote for REAL Democrats.…
Go, Chevy!A Chevy ad released last month to celebrate the Detroit Pride festival has gone viral beyond anyone's prediction. The ad, originally a tiny $750 buy in the Motor City Pride edition of Between the Lines, has been viewed by well over 10 million people. See the ad after the jump.
The Students First kiss of deathState Representative Maureen Stapleton had received the UAW endorsement for the newly drawn 6th House district seat as a Democrat. However, thanks to a "kiss of death" endorsement by Michelle Rhee's anti-teacher, pro-charter schools group Students First, they have withdrawn their endorsement and are throwing their support behind Rashida Tlaib, instead. Details after the jump.
LOLGOP on Twitter
- RT @MikeGrunwald: Miami ex-mayor, son of Castro prisoner --> @Manny_A_Diaz For 50 years we've tried it one way. The time has come for a dif… about 7 hours ago from TweetDeck ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Purveyors of a policy that has failed for 50 years warn Cuba engagement won't work. about 7 hours ago from TweetDeck ReplyRetweetFavorite
- While all you are pretending to not like James Franco he just got an MSW and a MFA in Dance from Smith. about 8 hours ago from TweetDeck ReplyRetweetFavorite
- If it weren't Cuba, the GOP would be freaking out about Obama's belt clip. Why not do big things? via @stefanjbecket http://t.co/k3kFOi1DFF about 8 hours ago from TweetDeck ReplyRetweetFavorite
- I don't care if 99% of people disagree with me! - Marco Rubio, advocating for democracy about 8 hours ago from TweetDeck ReplyRetweetFavorite